With Japanese food trending this year try adding these katsu chicken burgers to your menus this year. They use up ingredients already in the kitchen and are great for all dietary requirements.
Katsu Chicken (or Tofu) Burger
- 35 mins
- 10 mins
- MK4.5 Sliced Brioche Style Buns 3
- Green Chilli chopped3
- Chicken Breasts 3 or 300 g firm Tofu
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Flour 4 tbsp
- Kale 200 g
- Sunflower oil 1 tbsp
- Chinese five-spice 2 tsp
- Light brown soft sugar 1 tbsp
- Onions2 chopped
- Carrots2 chopped
- Garlic 3 cloves3 cloves
- Ginger chopped thumbsize piecs
- Garam masala1 tbsp
- Curry powder 1 tbsp
- Coconut Milk 300 g
- Maple Syrup3 tsp
- 1.For the curry sauce: Heat oil in a large pan and fry off the onions and carrots until the onions become soft and translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, garam masala and after 3 minutes add the coconut milk, maple syrup with 250ml of water, cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Once onions and carrots become soft, blend.
- 2.For the crispy Kale: Spread the kale on 2 baking trays and drizzle with the oil. Mix the five-spice, sugar and sesame seeds and sprinkle over the kale, then roast for 7 mins in an already preheated oven. Toss well, then roast for 5 more mins until crispy. (For home cooks we recommend, 200°C). Mix the five-spice, sugar and sesame seeds and sprinkle over the kale, then roast for 7 mins. Toss well, then roast for 5 mins until crispy.
- 3.For the Katsu: In a wide bowl, mix the flour with salt, pepper and 1 tsp Chinese five spice. Take the chicken or slices of tofu and dip into the flour. In a second bowl, have the panko breadcrumbs and dip in the chicken or tofu until fully coated.
- 4.Assemble: In a pan heat some oil and fry the chicken or tofu for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown. Take Kara’s Brioche Style Buns and begin to toast for 2 minutes. Take the base of the bun and place on the fried chicken or tofu, drizzle over some of the curry sauce and top with the crispy kale and chillies. Drizzle over more curry sauce, add the bun lid and serve.